Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Hillary Won't Say if Being Gay is Immoral

Taken from Kos:

*In Regards to General Pace's comments that homosexuality is immoral*

But is it immoral?

"Well I'm going to leave that to others to conclude,"she said. "I'm very proud of the gays and lesbians I know who perform work that is essential to our country, who want to serve their country and I want make sure they can."


Now, personally, I think this should be a real cut and dry issue for the Democratic candidates. In my liberal opinion, no, homosexuality is neither immoral nor sinful - it's a natural evolutionary phenomenon. You can feel how you feel about gay marriages/civil unions/etc, but this should be simple. Sidestepping a question that demands an answer to the condemnation of millions of Americans is political postering and irresponsible.

Don't get me wrong, I respect Hillary for her expertise, but this really bothers me. Other candidates have come out and said being gay is not a sin (Edwards did it on Meet the Press not too long ago, Kerry did it in the last election. Hell, even REPUBLICAN Senator John Warner condemned the immoral comment). Is it that she thinks it is NOT a sin, but doesn't want to piss of moderates? Or maybe - she thinks being gay IS sinful and immoral, in which case she'd never be able to say it because she'd lose even more of the Democratic left flank (including my vote in a heartbeat). There's really no way to know at this point, and that's sad really.

Feel free to defend her. :-)

Full Linky to Kos here: http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2007/3/14/17176/7130

By the way, this is the Bruin Democrats 100th blog post. GO BDS!

2 comments:

Kyle said...

This just in - Hillary has clarified her position - http://clinton.senate.gov/news/statements/details.cfm?id=270721&&

Taylor said...

I love you Hilary, but you are too much of a politician sometimes. You "forgot" to clarify at first? No, you did not... you did it on purpose. After the public backlash, you decided to come out fully (no pun intended) against General McIgnorant. Time to start saying what you mean up front and not saying half-assed stuff and waiting to see public reaction!