Friday, February 09, 2007

Obama Skipping First Debate

I like debates - they are incredibly valuable and meaningful. I respect people, and candidates, who can effectively debate the issues of the day. In fact, I respect it so much that I place great weight on a candidate's ability to speak coherently, to rebut points, and to make arguments persuasively.

Imagine my disappointment then when I read in the NY Times that the star of the day, Barack Obama, has decided to sit out the first debate of the Democratic presidential candidates.

Don't get me wrong, I like Barack Obama - I think he is both eloquent and likeable. But It's fairly disappointing to me, and quite frankly, has made Mr. Obama fall down a few rungs on my '2008 Preferred Presidential Candidate Ladder (tm).' He IS inexperienced, but that doesn't necessarily need to be a bad thing. One can be knowledgable, persuasive, and powerful without being in the Senate for 58 years. But by not debating, we are not able to see if that truly is the case. Can Barack Obama stand up to hard-hitting questions from experienced heavy-weights like Bill Richardson and Hillary Clinton?

The answer isn't clear...but this decision may shed some light on it.

Link to Story Here

No comments: