Friday, June 23, 2006

My 2nd Amendment rights have been violated on account of ageism


Amendment II

A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.


For a while now I've decided that I wanted to buy a revolver to do a little target shooting. I was thinking about a 38 special or maybe a 9mm. I looked around for gun stores online, and found one that was just a few miles east of me, L.A. Guns on Sunset.

So I decide to head on down there and see what they had. Once there, I walked in and looked at the cabinets of revolvers they had. I told the man what I was looking for, and he showed me a nice little 9mm revolver for about $375 that seemed to be what I was looking for. Interested, I asked if I could see it. He asked for my ID.

Well that's no problem, I thought, I'm 20, a voting-age citizen of the United States - I didn't expect a problem. I was wrong.

The man looked at my ID and told me that he couldn't sell me what I wanted, he couldn't sell me any handgun because it's illegal to sell a handgun to anyone between 18 years of age and 21 years of age. In fact, he told me, it's illegal for me to even be there.

Now, I was pissed. Hell, I AM pissed. I'm a liberal - but I do believe in the right to own a gun, something I feel is a basic liberty. I sincerely believe in gun control though - in background checks, waiting periods, training sessions, safety locks. Regulations meant to ensure safety and societal security while preserving liberty. But this is just ridiculous.

I am able to vote for elected officers. I am able to buy cigarettes to kill myself. And I am able to participate in the lottery (Also known as the Moron Tax). I am able to be drafted into the military, given a gun and told to kill people, all in the name of my country and on account of my citizenship.

But now, in the Great State of California, I am not permitted to purchase a handgun on account of my age, even though I'm a full-fledged citizen. This is ageism, pure and simple. Whatever the logic behind this (And I'm sure there is some), it is wrong to restrict liberties on account of age.

Instead of banning the sale of guns to American citizens, we should focus on the true cause of crime and gun violence: poverty. Not spending our tax dollars to prevent some twenty year old from target shooting, but using them to ensure that no child is forced to grow up poor in a bad neighborhood.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Go Kyle. You tell them!

nikhil said...

BLASPHEMY! YOU SHOULD BE EXCOMMUNICATED FROM THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY!! WHY IS THE IN THE BRUIN DEMS BLOG??? IT BELONGS IN THE BRS'!!!

aria said...

but you can buy a shotgun, you left that part out.

Kyle said...

Indeed I can buy a shotgun. But I don't want a shotgun, I already have one. I want a pistol. And the state has decided to take my rights away on account of my age.

RightDemocrat said...

I agree that you have been discriminated against. Democrats need to support the Second Amendment. We could put millions of voters back in the undecided column if only we dropped gun control as an issue.

Kyle said...

I don't think we should necessarily drop gun control as an issue entirely - especially the aspects of it which most Americans support (Like the Assault Weapons Ban).

I just think that we should have regulations that protect society, but does not inhibit society from exercising liberty.

Caitlin said...

oh, nikhil. ::shakes head::

maybe if you'd *try* shooting, you wouldn't be so against it.

kyle, i completely agree with you.

Anonymous said...

you cant buy a handgun because it can easily be concealed. but you can buy a shotgun because it cant be. it still isnt going to stop someone that is mentally ill from buying a shotgun and and going on a rampage. i support the 2nd amendment and understand the law. but this makes no sense why someone between the age of 18 and 21 can not buy a handgun.